Monday, May 31, 2010

Darn Coffee


Work on Sunday started smoothly enough. I punched in late by 5 mins, and there were not many customers.


I don't think I've mentioned that I'm not a full-fledged waitress yet. Currently I'm known as the food runner. I work behind the scene, delivering food to the elevators (see previous post) and outside to the waitresses who'll do the serving. Hmmm.. something like a "ghost waitress"?


As a food runner, I'm also in charge of:

# making coffee
# making tea
# wiping the cutlery, saucers and side plates
# preparing the sauces


Anyway back to Sunday. All was rather quiet, until the first coffee order came in.


I was struggling to insert the filter holder with the coffee powder into the machine when the phone (the one which connects level one and two) rang. Downstairs asking about the coffee.


The German chef C answered the call. He paused for a few seconds, and said: "Coffee? Maybe it'll be ready tomorrow morning."


I looked over and he was looking at me with this typical arrogant look which comes so naturally to Germans. By this time I was still fumbling, and seething.


When the damn thing finally got in, I pressed the wrong button and espresso dripped out instead.


C walked over, calmly took over, and said: "This (button which shows half cup) is for espresso. This (button which shows full cup) is for coffee. You get the milk."


That was the first setback of the day.


Actually, making coffee and espressos are ok after a few practices. My nemesis are cappuccino and cafe latte, where milk foam is required.


I think I'll foam at the mouth first before the milk foams from the steamer, I just can't seem to get the knack of making nice foamy milk, and you know you don't get good cappuccinos and cafe lattes without the darn white bubbly thing.


And I realized there are generally more coffee orders on Sunday afternoons. So when the orders for cappuccinos and cafe lattes start pouring in, I made a mess at the coffee machine before I threw in the towel and S.O.Sed.


Meanwhile, the China chef L was laughing at my predicament. I gave him my flying daggers look and he smiled and said: "Patience, you need patience."


What's the trick to nice thick foam, anyone?!!


1 comment:

  1. hahaha! maybe trick to thick foam is lots of patience and thick skin. Don't let the kitchen jerks get to u! :)

    ReplyDelete